Tuesday, June 9, 2009

I think love is a bit of heaven


Of all the words I've ever read in all of the books I've ever read, this remains one of my favorite passages:

I think love is a bit of heaven. When I was in love I thought about that girl so much I felt like I was going to die and it was beautiful, and she loved me, too, or at least she said she did, and we were not about ourselves, we were about each other, and that is what I mean when I say being in love is a bit of heaven. When I was in love I hardly thought of myself; I thought of her and how beautiful she looked and whether or not she was cold and how I could make her laugh. It was wonderful because I forgot my problems. I owned her problems instead, and her problems seemed romantic and beautiful. When I was in love there was somebody in the world who was more important than me, and that, given all that happened at the fall of humanity, is a miracle, like something God forgot to curse.

Don Miller, Blue Like Jazz, 151.

1 comment:

lizzo said...

wow, DM. nicely said.