Tuesday, March 18, 2008

*crack*

Part of the fun (I use that term ironically) of letting God do what he wants is that he may (read: often, at least in my experience) do some breaking, so that we don’t carry all of our preconceptions and pride and baggage with us. So in tandem with the excitement of the last week, God’s also been breaking me. Seriously. Shattering. And it hasn’t been comfortable, even though I know it’s good for me.

The following is a mosaic of words from songs and books (Shane Claiborne’s The Irresistible Revolution, U2’s When I Look at the World, Broken by Lifehouse, and Jars of Clay’s God Will Lift Up Your Head; oh, and the Bible) that I’ve been reading and listening to lately. God is messing me up.


I'm falling apart, I'm barely breathing; with a broken heart that's still beating. In the pain, there is healing; in your name, I find meaning. So I'm holding on, I'm barely holding on to you …

Thus says the Lord: maintain justice, and do what is right, for soon my salvation will come, and my deliverance will be revealed.


We are called not to be successful but to be faithful.


Is not this the fast I choose: to loose the bonds of injustice, to undo the thongs of the yoke, to let the oppressed go free, and to break every yoke?


When you look at the world, what is it that you see?


Is it not to share your bread with the hungry, and bring the homeless poor into your house; when you see them naked, to cover them?


When there’s all kinds of chaos and everyone is walking lame.


Love your neighbor as yourself. We are the body of Christ, the hands and feet of Jesus to the world. Christ is living inside of you and me, walking the earth.


So I try to be like you, try to feel it like you do. But without you it’s no use; I can’t see what you see when I look at the world.


Then your light shall break forth like the dawn, and your healing shall spring up quickly. … Then you shall call, and the Lord will answer; you shall cry for help, and he will say, “Here I am.”


We can admire and worship Jesus without doing what he did. … We can adore his cross without taking up ours.


And I am here still waiting, though I still have my doubts; I'm hanging on another day just to see what you will throw my way. And I'm hanging on to the words you say; you said that I will be okay.


I can’t wait any longer, I can’t wait till I’m stronger. I can’t wait any longer to see what you see when I look at the world …


Give to the wind your fear; hope and be undismayed. God hears your sighs and counts your tears; God will lift up your head!


Leave to His sovereign sway to choose and to command …


Through waves and clouds and storms, He gently clears the way. Wait coz in His time, so shall this night soon end in joy. Soon end in joy.


No comments: